In Chapter 5 of Into the Wild, McCandless is strongly influenced by writers like Jack London, whose stories shape the way he thinks about adventure and wilderness. Has a book, song, musician, or artist ever influenced the way you think about life, goals, or the world around you? Identify the specific book, song, musician, or artist and explain how their ideas or message affected your thinking.
Prompt response: A specific book that has shaped the way I view life is, "I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't) written by Brene Brown. This books talks about the generic human experience with the emotion shame. It drives the point that your experience is not orignal in the sense that you are not alone, meaning that empathy is a cure for shame. After reading this book, it provided much relief to know that deep down I am not the only one who is going through this though others may not admit that. The book suggested that I should interect with the world around me in a open minded way that invites emapathy and to not hold my identity with what I view as success.
Summary: During the class period we read Chapter 5 of Into the Wild. After reading the chapter we had a paper to go with it . The questions were focused on this chapter were about using evidence to prove your point.
Reflection: While reading the chapter, I was suprised with what happened. In the chapter Chris takes a job in Bull Head City and stays for about 2 months. So far in the book we learned that Chris voluntarily rejects money and the idea of the systems set in place. Reading that he maybe wanted to stay longer that usually and starts working at McDonalds shows how he is not 100%. He is atleast willing to do this to fund for his journey.
Comments
Post a Comment