Think about a moment when your understanding of your family changed as you got older. How did that shift impact your perspective, and how does that connect to Chris’s realization about his parents in Chapter 11?
Prompt Response: A moment where my persective of my family changed is when I learned about their struggles they were going through. Before, I percieved my family to be perfect growing up. Now I value them even more as I am even more grateful. This connects to Chris finding out that his parents were not the same in time. I view my family as more human now than before as everyone struggles. Chris McCandless on the other hand decided to leave and to view his parents as negative as they always fought.
Summary: During class time we first completed a paper about family values, lessons, and relationships.Everyone compared their answers to the ones that were shared.After that we read chapter 11 of Into the Wild. We recieved a sheet that went with the chapter mainly on how family dynamics can affect your decisions later in life.
Reflection: Chapter 11 was interesting to read as we learn more about Chris McCandless life before he decided to leave. Hearing that he also shared some of the values I had was surprising knowing his demographic and the time period. We both agree that it's crazy how people struggle with hunger in the country that we live in as well as that we need to interact with people who are different than us in order to keep ourselves human and share empathy. However, I do agree with the parents that Chris should have went to law school if he actual wanted to make a change and help others. He had the privelege to do so and furthering education is important if you want to get regconition to make impact when he mentioned the issues happeing in South Africa. It felt disappointing knowing that he just went on this journey instead of using his privelege to create a world that he wanted to see.
Comments
Post a Comment